We now accept original photographs from writers to accompany their vignettes.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April 1: Secret


From @Mari_deSilva:

Sometimes I wish everything I am, and everything about me was a secret. That nobody knew me, knew of me, or had come to expect anything from me. That I could just be. Alone. Unknown. Insignificant. And most of all, indifferent to the world around me. Like a well kept secret, never to be revealed.  

From The AdMan:

I met a good friend recently. Although we hadn’t kept in touch, we were pretty close in ‘college’. While chatting, I noticed he had lost a lot of weight, now less than half the size he used to be. So I asked him how he did it and he smiled and said “It’s a secret”. 

From @wonderer:

He comes home, and I greet him excitedly. We have the house to ourselves tonight, a rare luxury.
Just the two of us then? he says, pulling me to him.
Make that three, I think happily, as I lean up to kiss him, my hands reaching instinctively to cocoon my stomach.

From @HalikAzeez:

The Krill from OB78 had a funny habit of pinching your nose in greeting when they first met you. Sociologists on Earth had long wracked their brains, trying and failing to figure out why. But now, as I wander the deserted corners of the post-customized-stink-bombed galaxy, I think I know.

From @cernoblog:

MOST SECRET STOP UNABLE TO CALL AFTER CAMEL STEPPED ON SATELLITE PHONE STOP GPS LOST IN SAND STORM STOP SUPPLY AIRDROP 100KM+ OFF TARGET STOP SUSPECT DRUNK UKRAINIAN MERCENARY PILOTS STOP RUNNING OUT OF AMMO FOOD WATER STOP AWAITING INSTRUCTIONS STOP HAVE EATEN ALL CARRIER PIGEONS WHAT TO DO STOP YOUR MAN OUTSIDE TIMBUKTU MALI

From @amalisam:

She had no one to talk to. She had to make a decision and make it fast. Peace of mind is what she needed at the moment. She had been tormented and abused for years and she had no other choice but to pull the trigger. Her father lay dead on the floor.

From @Shi_dreams:

She cupped her hands around her mouth as she leaned in to whisper into her friend's ear. They giggled conspiringly and glanced at the little boy sitting in the sandbox across from them. He looked up, and catching their looks quickly bent his head and continued digging his hole wishing he could disappear into it.

From @ChamindraH:

He looks scared but deep down he is confident. He looks pale but his eyes show desire, determination. He sees her wondering by and wants to get close to her. He looks at her once and then looks away. Yet he wants to tell her. He goes near her and silently whispers “I love you”

From @sharon_thulasi:

I thought I had kept it a secret from others. But the look in their faces told me that they knew. Not everything but something about what happened. I hurried to the bathroom mirror and found that the makeup has worn off which I used to conceal the black eye I got from my husband.

From @Dili:

Sunil desperately wanted to try what his school friend gave him. But even as a 5 year old he knew his mother might get angry. So as a haamuduruwo speaking loudly on the tv masked his movement, he crept to his room and pulled it out. 

That watallappan was the best thing he ever had.

From @himalkk:

“Ever wonder what might happen if she finds out?”
“She’s never going to; I keep telling you.”
“If she does, will you stop seeing me?”
“For the hundredth time, no, of course not.”
“Please don’t take that tone with me. It hurts when you do.”
“Yeah, well, you try sneaking out of the White House.”


From Raisa:

She rearranges her clothes, walks out while tendrils of cigarette smoke curl into the air. 
It’s a tawdry place, this “karaoke bar.” Thin mattresses, squeaking fans. There’s a balcony though. She leans out, into wind and sky- no longer a working girl. 
It’s been three weeks. She’s late.
He calls, she turns, smile glued on.

From @PennyKinned:

The late nights at work. The whiff of unfamiliar perfume on his clothes. That faraway look in his eyes when they are making love.
Beep beep. 
“Who is that from?” she asks.
“Nobody,” he says.
Silence resumes. Above the clicks of cutlery on crockery, it throbs between them. This sordid story. This open secret.

From @yasirnasir:

It kept nagging me all day. I tried to recall what it was. But all I could see was her face and nothing more. After a year of agony, I stumbled across a note from her. It simply said, “This will always be our secret. But the day we separate, erase it from your memory”.

From Anonymous:

In a gloomy day almost seven years back, I saw her while she was shopping next-door. Since then we both shared a secret. Even tho we met plenty of times, we kept the secret as it is. We chose separate paths. Wish I told her the secret that will take me out of my misery. 

From @LadyZahara:

Some people had found a secret coded letter but were unable to decode it. Even the writer was not known. Unnoticed by the people, a young girl stood among them, praying silently that the secret should never be revealed. She had just managed to gather some courage and write her hidden feelings towards a friend.

From @rothbourne:

There once was a boy who loved to tell secret’s to his friends, the only problem was they were not his secrets to tell. So one day he told a really big secret to a stranger and this stranger made him eat his own words. He never gave secrets away after that.

From @huz152:

Two friends met up Anthony and Carlos. Anthony was excited to share a secret with Carlos. Carlos unknowingly started screaming at Anthony. "What is your problem.. When are you going to stop all these bad habits that you have" Anthony cluelessly asked him" what's wrong, why are you screaming?" Anthony forgot his secret and Carlos said "STOP DRINKING"

From @wikifreakz:

Finally he unlocked the secret portal of alchemy. Yeah.. He invented the long waited molecular separator.
Washed it..
'BANG!' An EXPLOSION!
Yes, Hydrogen and Oxygen has been separated!

From @wikifreakz:

A girl was killed. '6 is odd!' -her last tweet.
'WTF?' cops were confused of that secret code.
Her lover sobbed slapping on his face.
He got an extra finger!


From Tristan Kube:

They prod and poke.., they’d smoke it out of me if they had to. I guess all they want is to get to know me better.., to know that I’m not too different from them. I whisper to make them feel special. But true secrets are never whispered - they’ve never seen the light of day.

10 comments:

  1. Really interesting this blog! One word, so many ideas...in just 55 words... Amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable how much you can say in jst 55 words! Love some of the interpretations! Particularly given today's context, think the Watalappam one really hit home! Also liked the working girl one. SLD great idea and great job! Feels good to keep in touch with the creative writing side. Tnx and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading these :-) Esp liked the entries from @cernoblog @Shi_dreams @Dili @PennyKinned & Raisa :-)Hope this takes off, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the stories are not related with the given Title..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zar.Mol - yes, we're amazed by the range of perspectives, too!

    Mari - so glad you're enjoying creating and reading the stories :)

    Thush - yours was pretty great too!

    Caztial- as far as we can tell, all stories are linked to the title.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. For me, one of the most interesting things is editing the story and condensing it down to 55 words. I just write out the story in my mind, then find it is too long. So then I start editing; deleting a word here, re-writing a phrase there, cutting and cutting until it's down to 55 words. And then I find it's pretty much the same thing, the same meaning. That's fun.

    I also personally like the stories from 'cernoblog', which I think is pretty creative, with a twist of humor and Dili's, which is sad and funny at the same time, not to mention a bit ironic and rather apropos for the times and the current situation.

    Cheers all and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment AdMan! Yes, keeping it down to 55 words can be a real challenge :) I love your process of paring down the story to the essentials. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like @wikifreakz's molecular separator story :) A bit of science in it and it's creative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete