We now accept original photographs from writers to accompany their vignettes.

Friday, April 12, 2013

April 11: Sand

Storytellers & readers, please take a moment to vote in the poll to your right, thanks!


From @sharondstephen:
A vivid dream of sand, and hands held over water... She awoke convinced they were fated; that their destiny was to be one. Years after, harsh realities, hurt feelings and copious tears later, they no longer speak. Awkward meetings, contrived avoidance- a world of hurt. And Fate? Fate goes on writing in the sand...

From @PravNJ:
Shoulders ablaze, he walked towards fifteen years of hard work. Unloading the bucket of golden sand into the apparatus, he inspects the Baree-yum gauge.

“Now we wait” he mutters.

Sol sleeps.

“It’s time”

He pulls the lever and the obsidian rock is seared by a new light that hasn't been seen in a thousand years.

From @shamsmakkiya:
"No! I couldn't digest it!" yelled at the top of its lungs.
"Hey look, sand! Let's dump it over there."
"Argh, plastic!" choked the voice beneath.

From @rebelinpurple:
The stone was gone – probably re-engraved, planted elsewhere in the cemetery. But I knew this was the place I spent my last few moments as a boy. I lit two cigarettes, stuck one in the sand for him and the other for me. I kept my palm on the ground, said: “thank you”, and left.

From Raisa:
The air explodes with the death-rattle of shellfire. Even in this makeshift hole in the ground, she ducks. She prays.

The air erupts with the shrieks of the dying and she feels… relief. She cradles her terrified daughter. ‘Shhhh.’

Then it comes: another whistle. Crouching, she grasps a handful of sand and thinks, “Not today.”

From Saumya Fernando:
When you took the time to draw our initials on the sand with a ragged stick years ago I appreciated your hidden artistic talents. I smiled a secret smile that somewhere inside you was a soft little boy. Never guessed it would be the motif on our invitation card. How far we've come my love.

From Jeevani Fernando:
I remember clearly the day heavens wept when he was lowered to the ground. I could not bring myself to throw that handful of sand on his casket as is the tradition. I wanted him to live on, in every prayer; in the strains of a familiar song; in my thoughts and in my children.

From @HalikAzeez:
The roof... the roof? The roof was just a few inches from his face. And, he realized, he was lying on the floor. Thud…

Wait. Wasn't he just at the ..thud..farm? And something had happened. Right, yes..his memory flashed distant voices of alarm. Thud..and something trickled through a crack in the boards. Felt like sand.

From @bhagsy:
Driving towards the beach, I saw a stick-like figure in deep thought, stepping on the waves. As I drew closer I could see the distance between the stick-figure and the sandy shore increasing. I started to become worried as I realised what the person was doing.

From @chav_:
Miles away from civilization, the pitch black sky lay dotted with stars that shone brighter than they had for a century. Streaks of red ran across, heralding the dawn to come. He embaced them, inhaled as deep as his lungs would allow, and bowed down to his mother Earth.

Blood met sand, another hero made.

From @Rabdizz:
This constant to and fro, like sand caught in the cross tide. This blame game. This love-hate. This presumptuous occupation.

And then..

And then the intimacy, the intricacy, which bridges your shore to mine. A white elephant to bear across the deep seas between you and I.

From @PennyKinned:
“Each grain is a seed of inexplicable desires and unreasonable longings,” explained the god to his eager apprentice. Taking a fistful of the sparkling sand, he scattered it towards the cloudy blue planet below him. “This is how we keep things interesting,” he giggled, watching thousands of glimmering grains descend, primed to create chaos.

From Tristan Kube:
Though the hourglass trickles the sands of time much slower in these confines, it still managed to rob twelve years of my youth pretty fast.

You people will never understand how crazily lucky you are - to not be reminded of one of your mistakes each and every day, while staring into brick walls.

From @LadyZahara: 
Her feet had painful cracks, she could hardly walk. Everyone gave up on her because her feet were ugly. Then came to her a shining inspiration. Every evening she walked on shore, rubbing her feet on the sand while the sea washed her feet. One month and she was walking around with naturally beautiful feet...

From @Shi_dreams:
“He threw sand into his eyes! What does that say about the child?!” she screamed angrily.

“It was an accident! He didn't do it on purpose”, he fired back.

“Right,” she said rolling her eyes.

“D..aadd?” came the voice of a curly haired five year old, eyes wide with fear.

The two adults spun around.

From @huz152:
White sands below my feet & the calm ocean in front of my views was such a soothing sight. Passikudah took my breath away. I had been looking all over Sri Lanka for beaches that looked like the ones I had visited in the small island of Mayotte.

Finally I proved to my wife. Sri Lanka has everything.

From @Mari_deSilva: 
In the sweltering heat all she could see was a stampede of desperate people - screaming, running, wailing or floating face down in the water. She knew she was on a beach, she could feel the familiar softness between her toes – see the familiar ocean splattered red. All she needed to see was some sandy yellow.

From @wikifreakz:
'Sand.. sand.. and more sand..,' she cheered.

They were flying through the pathway that lies over the kingdom of heaven.. 

And it's spring, the mating season!

"Yeeeng.. Yeeeng.. Yeeeng.."

'Sirens on..?'

"WHOOOOOOSH!!!"

'Hell.. Mortars!' he yelled.

"TRRUTTUTUTT!!"

The dove fell near a sidewalk where a group of kids stood, holding catapults facing an IDF artillery..

No comments:

Post a Comment