We now accept original photographs from writers to accompany their vignettes.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

April 12: Echo

Wish you all a wonderful Avurudu. 
We will be back with a new word and a new twist next week! 
In the meantime, enjoy the gems written so far by Sri Lanka's many secret storytellers.


From Tristan Kube:
To some, tears speak the silent language of love. Love for the lost and the ghosts of yesteryear. The wind still carries past horrors that now echo through time to meet us in the present. They say history repeats itself. But only a nation of sadists or amnesiacs will want an encore.

From @Mari_deSilva:
My childhood was plentiful without a party at McDonalds, my teenage years super crazy without “partying” every weekend. I’ve always had a roof over my head, food on my plate and clothes on my back, but my father’s words have echoed in me all through my life. If you don’t have, do without.

From @chav_:
"You know, you guys were right. We can't let them oppress us anymore! Last week they come knocking and asking if I was keeping liquor in the house. I should've joined up sooner... Guys, listen, let's start to..."

But all he could hear was his echo. The others had long since disappeared.

From PennyKinned:
“I need more power to finish the problem for good.”
“I need to be answerable only to myself – wartime needs quick decisions.”
“I need your support when outsiders come asking questions – we’ll protect one another.”
As the tyrant sat on his throne, his past fear-mongering echoed across the land.

How could we be so foolish?

From @cernoblog:
She smiled, unwittingly. "Early poems. Not my best". Those poems carried me through shrapnel and amputations said the commander gently. Don't worry, I keep this very quick. The blindfold's for the squad – they’re just boys. She nodded, whispering into his ear. Years later, those words, roared by crowds, would bounce off the fleeing presidential helicopter.

From Priyanthie de Silva:
The words of the song echoed in my mind, the whole time I was speaking to him. What was it about him that brought back this attack of nostalgia? He had not changed. Still the same grim exterior, but there were times he had let the mask slip & I had seen the 'softy' beneath!  

From @wikifreakz:
 'zzzz zzzz'
The excessive saline doses and the stench of phenyl keep me drowsy all day long.
No, I'm not crying.. I camouflauged sentiments long ago..
The echo of 'Left- right-left' still reverberates in my ears..

By the way, can anyone tell me what's that 'prosthetics' thingy that the doctors keep on whispering about?

From @bhagsy:
Words came hurling at her. No mercy. Strong and harsh like the strong winds before a storm. Her heart was already bleeding from before. She knew she should say something to ease her pain. But tears were her only escape. Even afterwards, the words echoed in her ears.

From Saumya Fernando:
It’s not only sound that returns like a boomerang. When it hits the highest mountains, everything comes back gushing loud and clear. Most often words and deeds have a tendency to echo louder still. The world is yet to see how sinners will suffer. Until then pray for patience.

From @shamsmakkiya:
Echoes of rejection reverberated in their little hearts. Their past, present and future looked pitch dark.
Why?

The matron came with a newly born child in her hands muttering painfully, "Animals are much better than some humans".

No comments:

Post a Comment