We now accept original photographs from writers to accompany their vignettes.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May 13: Ring

From Nihal De Silva:
I can hear the phone ring in the background. I hear it through a haze of smoke. Most days are spent thus; in a whirl of cigarettes and drugs. How can one person create such havoc? I put my life on hold for her. She kicked me in my face. Should I care a 'Tinker's damn?'

From @sharasekaram:
I give you a single ring. One ring to tell you that for every day til eternity you are mine. One ring to show you that we are perfect, round, complete. We are halves of a whole – we are one. One ring to bind us to each other in perfect harmony. One ring for love.

From Shemali (theshadowseeker):
He planned this day for weeks. The roses lay at his feet. It would be one of two final responses. Nothing would be the same, ever again. Could he handle a no? Head in his hands, ring in his pocket, he waits. The phone, one ring. No. She did not make it. 

From @bhagsy:
We were sitting on the beach, a cloth spread over the sand & with wine in our hands. The night was beautiful. The sky glistened with stars. Taking my hand he kept a ring on my palm & asked me to marry him, saying that I was the star in his life. I was speechless!

From Jonathan Vittachi (@jonnyjujubes):
To be honest... It really doesn't matter. We might not be legally allowed to get married but I don't see why our commitment to each other is any less important. So what if I can't call you husband? 

I'll still give you a ring and ask you to be mine forever.

From Saumya Fernando:
If only I had even an ounce of an idea of how much of a burden this ring would bring me; Tears, heartaches, disappointments. It’s not you. You are my breath of fresh air, most of the time at least. It’s everything else that comes with it. But I wouldn't exchange it for the world.

From @chav_:
"move it n00b" flashed across the bottom of my screen.
"I've been playing since even before your parents met, you little twat!"

As I hit the hotkey to retort, my screen turned to white, the familiar ringing of a flash-bang grenade filled my ears. Blood splashed on the screen as my opponent finished me off.

From Capt. Obvious:
"You don't sound excited"
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"There's something in the way you"
"In the way I what?"
"Nothing"
"There's only four minutes left"
"It's the tone. That's what I fear the most"
"Three minutes. Just get it off your"
"Do I have to do this my self?"
"I don't have time for this"
"I know"
"I could tell you I'm smiling"
"I believe you"
"Good."

From @PennyKinned:
Cash? Check. Gold coins? Check. Jewellery? Check. Finally, he slid the cold platinum band off her lifeless hand. By himself, he was good – charming, funny, romantic. With the ring, he was unbeatable. Together, they sought wealthy, single women; together, they proposed – and conquered. One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

From @shamsmakkiya:
Sat a ringlet on my palm. The rings engraved on its glistening wings gleamed in the jet black night. It beheld into my eyes and said, "I dote you."

Vanished the flying miracle into thin air.

Fell the rain accompanied by strong gale that absolved my palm.

From @wikifreakz:
INFER.. NO!!!

The planet was in the grip of heatwaves, that had claimed tens of millions of victims.

The orange dots seen on the satellite pictures denoted the areas which were badly affected by the waves.

Various weapons used in the WW-III by the irresponsible governments had made a planetary ring around that once fertile Planet: Earth!


From @mari_desilva:
“…She wears my ring to show the world that she belongs to me…”

What was Elvis thinking? Or did he hit the nail right on the head? Is marriage fundamentally about legitimizing one’s ownership over the other? A territorial pissing of sorts? 

I’m harsh on marriage perhaps, but not harsher than reality, I assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment